Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The New Accessory is... Black.

So I like fashion and trends almost as much as I like studying at Grainger Library (too many hotties for it not to be my #1 past time activity). Today while I was sitting in the chairs at Grainger eyeing the hott businessmen and searching for the "new" trend... I realized it was... well ME! 

No joke.. This might sound like bad categorizing... but according to just about everything... black people are the new hottest "accessory" for the party. First, I don't really have a problem calling humans accessories. I mean what the hell are children?! 

But I do kind of have a problem with this. I realize we have a black president (elect) but is it really a reason for social circles to "spice" up their membership? Why not before this? Didn't the civil rights movement end like 40 years ago? Back in the late 1960s people should have reached out and opened up their circles, not now because its the new face of America. Just a thought. 

I'm not sure if everyone is just riding the wave or if people are starting to change their views. But over all I still think its WEIRD when PR firms are coming out with lists of the top ten black intellectuals or fashionistas to invite to parties in the "Obama-era." 

I feel like inviting a black president into oval office has turned into a social trend that is now being filtered down into the less prestigious circles. Its like the time Gabrille Chanel introduced the tweed suit that was later filtered down to the racks of BCBG and eventually stores like Banana Republic. 

Is this good? or bad because its people reacting to what they believe other people want? Eh, whatever. It took me just about the time to write this to realize I was over it and I should just embrace being a cheap knock off of the historic Chanel suit. 

Hey, wanna invite me to any great parties? ;-) (kidding)

1 comment:

Me

Los Angeles, CA, United States
I’m an adventurous soul with a taste for the good life. When it comes to art, nothing is more impressive than high fashion; hefty price tags are definitely worth it. Music rules my ears. I always take the leap, look forward and have no regrets. I want the metropolis to be my playground so I never run out of things to do, but I love the luxury of taking time to myself. When I think freedom.. I think living here and now.

Blog Archive

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter